To ensure the University complies with the requirements of the Information Privacy Act 2009 (the Act).
This policy applies to University Members.
3 Policy Statement
The University values and respects an individual's right to privacy and will meet the legal obligations under the Act which imposes privacy protection obligations to:
- comply with the Information Privacy Principles (IPPs) as provided in the Schedule 3 of the Act;
- transfer Personal Information outside of Australia only in compliance with section 33 of the Act;
- take reasonable steps to have Contracted Service Providers adhere to the privacy principles where required by section 35 of the Act;
- deal with Privacy Complaints by individuals in a timely and responsive manner;
- comply with any Compliance Notice issued by the Information Commissioner; and
- comply with the conditions of any public interest approval issued by the Information Commissioner.
- The functions of the University necessitate the collection, creation and use of Personal Information.
- The University adopts the definition of Personal Information contained in the Act.
- The University is committed to protecting personal privacy, recognising that individuals have a reasonable expectation the University will protect and manage the Personal Information it collects and holds about them.
- The University will interpret and apply the Act to ensure it provides for the fair collection and handling of Personal Information and a right of access to, and amendment of, Personal Information in the University's possession or under its control unless, on balance, it is contrary to the public interest to give access to or allow the information to be amended.
- Subject to the provisions of the Right to Information Act 2009 and the Information Privacy Act 2009, the University will embrace the principles of openness and transparency regarding the information it holds.
- The operated by the University is the preferred method for providing access to Personal Information.
- The first point of contact for all privacy matters including complaints, application and amendment requests, and requests for internal review is the:
University of Southern Queensland
Toowoomba Queensland 4350
This policy must be read in conjunction with its subordinate schedules as provided in the table below.
7 Policy Information
Privacy Procedure (under development)
Related forms, publications and websites
Terms defined in the Definitions Dictionary
Is information or an opinion, including information or an opinion forming part of a database, whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion....moreIs information or an opinion, including information or an opinion forming part of a database, whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion.
The term 'University' or 'USQ' means the University of Southern Queensland....moreThe term 'University' or 'USQ' means the University of Southern Queensland.
Definitions that relate to this policy only
(Bound) Contracted Service Provider
Information Privacy Principles (IPPs)
Privacy, Personal Information
Failure to comply with this Policy or Policy Instrument may be considered as misconduct and the provisions of the relevant Policy or Procedure applied.
* This file is available in Portable Document Format (PDF) which requires the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader. A free copy of Acrobat Reader may be obtained from Adobe. Users who are unable to access information in PDF should email email@example.com to obtain this information in an alternative format.