Access to the Student Record Base Policy and Procedure
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Scope
- 3 Policy Statement
- 4 Principles
- 5 Procedures
- 6 References
- 7 Schedules
- 8 Policy Information
The purpose of this policy is to provide guidelines in regard to accessing student information held at the university.
This policy and procedure applies to all University employees including casuals and contractors.
3 Policy Statement
There is an increasing demand for access to the information contained in the USQ Student Record Base. This document contains a policy to govern that access and should be read in conjunction with the policy for Handling Personal Student Information of the University Policy Library.
- Access to the student record base is granted only on a need-to-know basis.
- Confidentiality of student records must be maintained. Any person with access to the record base must sign a statement agreeing to the requirements of the Information Privacy Act 2009.
- Access can only be granted with the approval of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students and Communities).
5.1 Summarised Data
Summarised Data is data that does not include any information that allows individual students to be identified. It refers to statistical summaries such as distributions of grades, student load distributed by mode of study or Faculty or course, projections of future enrolments, distributions of students by region or country, etc.
- The Students and Communities Division will meet reasonable requests for summarised data by any member of the University staff (including staff of the USQ Student Guild) for research, teaching or scholarship purposes. There will be no charge for this service.
- The Students and Communities Division will meet reasonable requests for summarised data for University students for research purposes. The request must be authorised by the Dean or Associate Dean (Academic) of the appropriate Faculty. There will be no charge for this service.
- Student Administration will meet reasonable requests to provide summarised data to outside bodies as follows:
- No Charge: Commonwealth or State authorities, the AVCC and other tertiary institutions, the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre and such other bodies as may be authorised by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students and Communities).
- At Cost: With the approval of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students and Communities), summarised data may be made available to staff or students of other tertiary institutions for research purposes. The charge may be waived by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students and Communities).
- At Twice Cost: With the approval of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students and Communities), summarised data may be made available to commercial organisations. The charge may be waived by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students and Communities).
This policy must be read in conjunction with its subordinate schedules as provided in the table below.
8 Policy Information
Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students and Communities)
Related forms, publications and websites
Terms defined in the Definitions Dictionary
Definitions that relate to this policy only
Privacy Student Records
Failure to comply with this Policy or Policy Instrument may be considered as misconduct and the provisions of the relevant Policy or Procedure applied.
* This file is available in Portable Document Format (PDF) which requires the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader. A free copy of Acrobat Reader may be obtained from Adobe. Users who are unable to access information in PDF should email email@example.com to obtain this information in an alternative format.